Is perfection a strength or weakness? I used to be proud to say I was a perfectionist. Someone who is very thorough, focused on full completion with everything in the right place. Now I am not so sure.
I am part way through the book ‘Big Magic’ when the topic of perfection comes up. I think I have changed my mind or shall I say had an insight. As I read through this section I was left gazing off into space thinking. Wow, I think she just described me!
Perfection has stopped me from achieving my full potential. I am sure of it.
Now what? What is the deeper insight here? It is a feeling of fear. Fear of everything having to be perfect. I have simply avoided a task or goal in fear of not achieving it 100%
So here is my action plan:
- Just do it, make a start!
- Do it, reflect, learn and do it some more
- Enjoy the moment, perhaps the journey to get to 100% will be just as good as the goal itself!
- Be mindful and present, live for the day, after all every day counts
- Go with the flow: yes have goals, dreams and desires but also just be